Golden Taylor shines in 85 seconds

Ciaran Shanks
17/10/2015 9:55pm

Scottish boxing's golden boy Josh Taylor ensured his home debut was a quick one after destroying Adam Mate in just 85 seconds on Friday (October 16).

Edinburgh’s Meadowbank Sports Centre was fit to burst with rambunctious fans from across Scotland and Northern Ireland for the Cyclone Promotions card.

And they certainly got their money’s worth after watching the hometown hero deliver a crushing knockout as well as soaking up a domestic fight of the year candidate.

Commonwealth Games gold medalist Taylor, 24, received a rapturous ovation as he demolished his Hungarian opponent to make it two wins out of two as a professional – much to the delight of manager Barry McGuigan and gym-mate Carl Frampton.

Mate (17-6) talked a good fight in the build-up but proved to be no match for the man now nicknamed the “Tartan Tornado”.

Taylor practically sprinted out the blocks and had Mate on the deck within 45 seconds. The visitor rose from the canvas but a vicious left hook from Taylor ended the contest once and for all.

The Prestonpans fighter barely broke a sweat in the quick-fire bout and could have another outing before 2015 is over.

The Celtic super-featherweight title may not be the most prestigious in British boxing – but it’s rapidly building a serious reputation.

Dundonian Ronnie Clark (13-3-2) and Belfast’s Anthony Cacace (13-0) had a tough act to follow after John Simpson and Paul Appleby’s epic battle for the same belt in 2012.

And their clash certainly didn't disappoint with a ten-round war that whipped the Edinburgh crowd into a frenzy.

Clark, backed by his air-horn blaring supporters, started the contest well jumping on Cacace’s chest from the get-go.

It was tough to split the pair after four with Clark piling on the pressure and Cacace moving well to land on the back foot.

The needle was clear to see as both men smiled whenever a punch was landed and were warned by referee Howard Foster to clean-up their act on the inside.

Cacace, 26, took control from the fifth round landing straight right hands and combinations down the pipe from distance.

And it would be distance that would decide the course of the later rounds as Cacace picked off his 30-year-old foe with ease.

Clark boxed better in the later rounds up close but Cacace was still controlling the pace.

Heading into the tenth, I had a score of 88-83 in favour of Cacace. Clark clearly knew he was behind and came out swinging leading to a blistering tear-up.

In one of the rounds of the year, both men traded punches in the middle of the ring. Clark was badly staggered during one exchange but continued to throw and land punches.

But Cacace finished the fight with just seconds remaining, a right hand followed up by a barrage sent Clark spiralling onto the bottom ropes. His eyes told the whole story and referee Foster had no choice but to stop the fight.

Cue wild celebrations from Cacace’s camp with the Belfast man leaping to the top rope in jubilation.

But that prompted a partisan response from Clark’s supporters who rushed the guardrail and had to be restrained by security.

Thankfully, Clark was back on his feet and went into the crowd to pay homage to his adoring fans.

Elsewhere on the show, two more home-grown talents extended their winning runs.

Edinburgh pair Jason Easton and Lewis Paulin each moved to 2-0 with victories over Karoly Lakatos (14-51-1) and Qasim Hussain (2-39-2) respectively.

Light-welterweight star Easton put on a sizzling showcase, dropping Lakatos in the first with a stinging right hand to the body before stopping the Hungarian with a barrage in the second.

Lightweight Paulin put in a tidy showing to comfortably out-point Hussain 40-35.

Former GB podium squad member and British Lionheart Aston Brown made a winning to his professional career.

The Glasgow-based super-middleweight cruised to victory against Bulgarian Georgi Valevski (3-9) dropping his opponent twice to run out a 40-34 winner.

Kelty’s Connor Law stepped down to light-middleweight to rack up his sixth professional win.

The 23-year-old boxed patiently against game Frenchman Cherif Sobgho (3-2-1) produced some eye-catching work.

But Sobgho kept throwing and moving to give Law a good workout who earned a 60-53 decision.

Also on the bill, Greenock welterweight Sam Ball (4-0) ripped through Teodor Stefanov (4-13) in two rounds, Belfast’s Marco McCullough (13-2) destroyed Sergejs Logins (9-7-1) in one and Portsmouth featherweight Josh Pritchard earned a 40-36 decision over Jean Noel Alvarez (4-18-1).