Aussie wrap-up for August

Anthony Cocks
01/09/2017 1:45pm

Photo: Jayde Mitchell Facebook

August in Australia kicked off with Jayde ‘J-Mitch’ Mitchell 15-1 (8) overcoming an early scare to win a lopsided points decision over ten against Chinese power-puncher Ainiwaer Yilixiati 10-1 (8) to retain his interim WBA Oceania and OPBF super middleweight titles on Friday 4 August at the Melbourne Pavilion in Flemington on a Big Time Boxing card.

Mitchell, who is ranked WBC number 14 and WBA number 15, was on the receiving end of a big right cross that almost sent him to the canvas late in the first, but rebounded to outbox the hard-hitting challenger over the distance. The fight was more competitive than the scores of 100-90 twice and 99-91 would suggest, but it was still a comprehensive victory for the popular Mornington Peninsula boxer.

“He bounced a big right hand off my chin and, mate, I was gone,” admitted Mitchell after the fight. “The place was packed with our crowd and everyone there then knew I was in for a tough night. In the moment it felt like an eternity but watching it back, I did recover quickly and I finished on top of him at the end of that.

“My boxing ability and my fitness is what won that fight for me. It was tough. He was at me the whole fight.”

Mitchell was expected to face undefeated KO artist and local rival Bilal Akkawy 14-0-1 (12) in his next fight, but injury has put the kybosh on that fight until 2018.

In the main support bout, Gaige Ireland 4-1-2 (3) retained his Victorian state lightweight title with a fifth-round TKO of rugged challenger Shaun ‘Too Deadly’ Thomas 4-4 (2). Despite being down in the second and fourth rounds, Thomas never stopped trying but was simply outclassed by the taller Ireland who boxed an effective fight from the outside. Thomas, 35, announced his retirement after the fight.

Returning to the ring for the third time this year, super middleweight Jake Carr 14-1 (5) outboxed China’s Adili Abulimiti 8-2-1 (5) before stopping him in the seventh round of a scheduled eight. Abulimiti was docked a point in the sixth for excessive holding. Carr was comfortably ahead at the time of the stoppage by scores of 59-55 and 58-56 twice.

Boxing as a middleweight Joel Camilleri 14-4 (7) surprised many people with a first-round knockout of Ben Nelson 2-4. Camilleri simply jumped on Nelson from the opening bell and never let up, sending him to the canvas three times in the opening stanza before the referee saved him from further punishment.

Nelson was coming off a third-round TKO loss to Tim Tszyu, son of former undisputed super lightweight world champion Kostya Tszyu, in April.

Also on the card middleweight Tej Pratap Singh 9-3-2 (4) won a four-rounder over Brisbane-based Thai Paitoon Jaikom 7-32 (2) by scores of 40-36 three times.

Veteran Benny Horra 9-18-3 (5) had to settle for a split draw against Matthew Smith 1-6-3 (1) in a super welterweight clash. Scores were 39-37, 37-39 and 38-38.

Shane Hasler 3-0 (2) won by TKO2 against Jackson King 2-1 (2) in a scheduled four-rounder at light heavyweight. King dropped Hasler in the opening round but was on the wrong end of the punches in the fatal second stanza.

Day Ferguson 2-0 overcame a trip to the canvas in the third round to salvage a split decision win over four rounds against Jade Cook on debut. Scores were 37-38 and 39-37 twice.

Fighting as a super flyweight for the first time since his amateur days Andrew ‘The Monster’ Moloney 14-0 (9) christened his new nickname in fitting fashion by outpunching and outhustling his Filipino opponent Raymond Tabugon 20-8-1 (10) to win by fourth-round TKO at the Melbourne Park Function Centre in Melbourne on the fifth instalment of Hosking Promotions’ Punches at the Park fight series on 19 August.

It wasn’t all one-way traffic though. Late in the third round a Tabugon counter left hook sent Moloney sprawling to the canvas. The WBA number 10 and IBF number 14 bantamweight appeared unhurt and showed his fighting heart by coming out for the following round demanding his pound of flesh. After a very one-sided two minutes and 42 seconds he got it, pummelling the visitor into submission in his own corner.

Moloney was even on one scorecard 28-28 and trailing on the other two cards 27-29 at the time of the stoppage. With the win Moloney claims the vacant WBA Oceania super flyweight title.

On the same card Moloney’s twin brother Jason ‘The Smooth One’ Moloney 14-0 (11) boxed his way to a wide decision win over Lolito ‘Thunder Shot’ Sonsona 21-2-4 (9) of the Philippines to retain his WBA Oceania 122lb title by scores of 100-90 twice and 99-91.

Moloney, the WBA number 8 and WBO number 12 super bantamweight, utilised a stiff jab and sustained body attack to tame Sonsona and rack up points as the rounds progressed. The only surprise was that Sonsona was still standing when the bell tolled to end the ten round contest.

Featherweight Ibrahim Balla 12-1 (7) was in career-best form as he boxed a smart, composed fight to win a comfortable decision over seasoned campaigner Silvester Lopez 28-14-2 (19) of the Philippines by scores of 98-92 twice and 99-91.

Former world title challenger Lopez, who went the distance with undefeated Tasmanian Luke Jackson in a competitive fight last year, had no answer to Balla’s sharp punching and educated pressure.

Nineteen-year-old Jeff Fenech protégé Brock Jarvis 11-0 (10) dispatched Indonesian southpaw Ghalatry Suyono 5-4 (3) in three rounds of a scheduled six at the bantamweight limit. Jarvis was in control throughout the bout, sending Suyono to the canvas in the first and third rounds before the visitor decided he had taken enough punishment for one night.

Damien Lock 2-2-1 and Sherwyn Watkins 4-2-1 (2) boxed to an entertaining split draw over four rounds at middleweight in the opening bout of the evening.

Astrid van der Sluys of Sydney Fight League put on a small card at Norths in Cammeray, Sydney, New South Wales on Friday 4 August.

Super middleweight Isaac Buckley 3-0-1 (1) drew over six rounds against Josh Jenkins 2-0-1 (1). At super lightweight Nick Howard Bath 2-0 (2) scored his second win straight stoppage with a third-round TKO of Ray Thompson 1-10 in a scheduled six-round bout when his corner throw in the towel.

Kenyan-born welterweight Victor Odindo 3-0 (3) won by second round TKO over Steven Bell 1-3-1 (1) in a six rounder. Debutant Troy O’Meley 1-0 scored a four-round decision victory over Queensland-based Thai Aphichat Koedchatturat 2-16-1, winning every round on all three scorecards.

Back at the Melbourne Pavilion in Flemington on Friday 25 August promising Queensland welterweight Liam Paro 9-0 (6) needed just three rounds to get rid of debutant Nic Aratema 0-1 of New Zealand. The slick boxing southpaw was leading 20-18 on all three cards at the time of the stoppage.

The 21-year-old Paro, who is trained by lawyer Alfie Di Carlo, was one of Jeff Horn’s sparring partners ahead of his astounding win over Manny Pacquiao to claim the WBO welterweight title at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane last July.

Also on the card super middleweight Mark Kassab 8-0 (5) needed just over a round and a half to defeat Sivan Hermez 5-11 (4) of New Zealand by way of Iraq in a six round bout.

Emmanuel Carlos moved to 4-0 (3) with a comprehensive six-round decision win over Daniel Maxwell 6-48-2 of New Zealand. Maxwell was given an eight-count in round four and Carlos ran out the winner by scores of 60-53 twice and 60-54.

Carlos was originally matched with Tim Tszyu on the Hosking Promotions’ Punches at the Park 5 card before Tszyu was forced to withdraw after sustaining an ankle injury during a 20km run.

Closing out the action for August, Team Ellis were back hosting at the Melbourne Pavilion on Saturday 26 August with a seven-fight card headlined by Ryan Breese 11-0 (3) and Lucas Miller 4-2-2 (3) battling it out for the vacant Victorian state light heavyweight title.

Breese got the better of Miller in most round, dropping him in the second and running away with the win by scores of 79-73, 78-73 and 77-74.

In a featherweight contest scheduled for six rounds Mark Schleibs 7-0 (4) knocked out Thai southpaw Namchoke Meesri 3-6 (2) in two.

Hussein ‘Skinny’ Dehaini 7-0 (3) scored a four-round majority decision over Joshua Butler 2-4 at super middleweight.

Former Australian Football League (AFL) player Shane Tuck 3-1-1 (1) was held to a majority draw with Steve Roberts 4-3-1 (2) in a four-round cruiserweight bout. Scores were 38-38 twice and 39-37 in favour of Roberts.

Che St John 1-0 (1) made a successful debut with a third-round TKO of Gatopai Telepe 0-5 in a heavyweight clash scheduled for four round. Telepe, who was down in the second round, was knocked out for the fourth consecutive time.

At welterweight Jack Light 2-0 (2) knocked out Matthew Walker 0-6-1 at 0:44 of the opening round of their four rounder.

Darcy Ellis 1-0 (1) make short work of Ireland-born Queenslander Beven ‘Chick’ Henry 0-3, stopping him at 1:29 of the first round of a scheduled four at junior welterweight.

Ellis is the son of legendary Australian IBF super featherweight world champion Lester ‘Master Blaster’ Ellis.